Total Pageviews

Sunday 13 January 2013

Jammie Dodgers and Custard Creams

Treats needed to go in Packed Lunches this week, so it's biscuits today,  2 of my favourite kinds too 

I used the same basic dough for each biscuit which is really easy to make and very pliable to easy to work with.

Ingredients for dough

170g butter
85g icing sugar (sifted)
170g pln flour (sifted)
55g custard powder (sifted)

Cream together the butter and icing sugar - I start doing this with a wooden spoon before using the mixer so that I  don't get covered in icing sugar when turning the mixer on. add flour and custard powder and using a K beater if using a food processor or a spoon and then your hands if you are not, work together until you have a nice ball of dough. The dough should feel lovely and soft and a bit like playdoh!

Roll out the dough and cut into whatever shapes you like. I Did stars for my Jammie dodgers, using the round end of a piping nozzle to cut out a small circle in half of the stars. I cut out the hole whilst the dough was still in the star shaped cutter so that it wouldn't cause the dough to spread out. For the custard creams I used a standard cutter, but for some of the tops I pushed a mesh shape into the dough before cutting out to give some of the tops a more interesting texture. Bake for about 10-12 mins then leave to cool on trays.


For the Jammie Dodgers I just sandwiched them together with the jam using slightly more in the middle so it would come up through the hole, and then sprinkled with caster sugar.


For the custard creams I made a custard flavoured buttercream icing.

Ingredients
80g butter at room temperature
250g sifted icing sugar 
2 tbsp whole milk
50g custard powder

beat the icing sugar and butter together after initially combining using a spoon. add the milk and the custard powder. Taste and add more sugar or custard powder if required. Then use to sandwich biscuits together. You can be quite generous with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment